It was in 1972 that the Nehru Centre was conceived by the late Shri Rajni Patel and others as a living memorial to the maker of modern India, who symbolized the ideals of enlightened curiosity, scientific temper, secular values, a world view and above all, a faith in the people of India. The foundation stone of this magnificient dream was laid by the late Smt. Indira Gandhi on November 2, 1972 on a six-acre plot leased by the Government of Maharashtra.
The Centre's first achievement was to provide the city with a planetarium. Inaugurated again, by the late Smt. Indira Gandhi on march 3, 1977, the Nehru Planetarium soon acquired a distinct identity on the map of Bombay. It has already presented 18 different sky theatre programmes and the 19th one is ready.
Show Timings: Daily English: 3 and 6 p.m. Marathi: 1.30 p.m. and Hindi: 4.30 p.m.
Open to all on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. Mondays Closed.
Students and group concessions available. For detail contact: 492-0510/492-0574
The construction of this unique building designed by Shri. I.M. Kadri, that breaks the monotony of Bombay's skyline, was ceremoniously started on November 14, 1973 and was completed in June 1986. Its architectural design symbolizes Nehru's vision of the step-by-step rise of modern India from a broad base of green revolution, through the progress made in different directions at varying levels. In its huge complex are housed an auditorium, the Discovery of India Exposition, exhibition halls, offices and restaurants.
The marble-panelled auditorium having marvellous acoustic effects, a capacity of almost 1000 seats and equipped with all the state-of-art facilities is one of its kind in the city. Since its inception, it has always remained a busy centre of cultural and intellectual life. (For details contact: 493-3340).
The Centre has a good library having more than 11000 books. Recently it has been declared open to the public as a reference library and quite a good number of students make use of the same. Moreover, a Data Cell, as a public service has also been introduced in collaboration with the Centre for Education and Documentation, Bombay. (For details contact: 492-0510).
The Nehru Centre has been holding seminars/group discussions etc., financing research projects and sponsoring outside exhibitions. However, since November 1990 a separate Cultural Wing has been started to boost up talent promoting activities. Since then performing art programmes and lecture-demonstrations pertaining to classical music are organised, apart from other activities including those for handicapped persons. (For details contact: 492-6742).
The most exciting and challeging project of the Centre is the Discovery of India Exposition, providing voyages into the past in order to understand the present. It is a continuance of Nehru's spirit of discovery. The concept was developed by the Nehru Centre with the co-operation of a number of experts and knowledgeable persons in various disciplines in the country. The visualisation and designing part was entrusted to the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad in November 1987.
The first phase of the Exposition comprising of six galleries etc., covering an area of about 5200 sq. mtr. was presented before invitees and journalists on November 14, 1989, as a part of the Nehru Centenary Celebrations. Over 7000 visitors, including foreign dignitories and tourists have so far seen the exhibition and paid high compliments.
The work of the second phase requiring an area of about 1600 sq. mtr. is in progress at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad. To promote the objectives of the Exposition, research publications, extension services by way of slide talks etc., have also been planned and started.
On Friday November 1st 1991, the first phase of the Discovery of India Exposition was ceremoniously inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of India Shri. P.V. Narasimha Rao.
The Discovery of India Exposition is open to the public between 2.00 p.m. and 5.30 p.m. daily except on government holidays. For details contact: 492-8086/492-7848.
Copyright © 1996, Arya Computers Pvt. Ltd.
Back to Places of Interest